Oldest Ohio court house in continuous use


Submitted story



The Highland County Court House will be a stop on the Highland County Historical Society’s annual Tour of Homes and Historic Buildings on Sunday, June 11.

The Highland County Court House will be a stop on the Highland County Historical Society’s annual Tour of Homes and Historic Buildings on Sunday, June 11.


Editor’s Note: The following is the ninth and final in a series of stories highlighting homes and other structures that will be featured during the Highland County Historical Society’s annual Tour of Homes and Historic Buildings on Sunday, June 11 from noon to 5 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under. This story features the Highland County Court House located at 105 N. High St., Hillsboro.

The Highland County Courthouse was designed by architect Pleasant Arthur. It was built between 1832-1834 and is the oldest Ohio structure in continuous use as a courthouse.

The rear wings date from 1884. It is an example of a recurring theme of Ohio county courthouse construction, incorporating elements of more than one architectural style. Since the early courthouses were built by local contractors self-educated in popular European designs, they often blended their favorite modes into the construction. The court house building combines Federal and Greek architectural elements.

The fanlight of the main entrance and arcading of the side windows and the octagonal belfry are Federal characteristics, while the rectangular form, Ionic columns and key cornice are considered Greek Revival elements.

A bond was issued for constructing a new court house in 1938, but it was defeated by voters. Major restoration took place in 1976 just in time to celebrate the county’s bicentennial, and a façade restoration was completed in 2011. The beautiful Highland County Courthouse endures largely because it has been well maintained over the years and still meets the county’s requirements.

The Highland County Historical Society is happy to be collaborating with the Brush & Palette Guild in an effort to raise awareness of their talents and to help them promote their 60th show and sale at Southern State Community College in Hillsboro Saturday and Sunday, June 24-25. The historical society is featuring artwork of the homes or buildings on the tour at each of the sites. By attending the tour, you will have an opportunity to see some work created by these talented artists and talk with them about their organization and upcoming event. Jean Malicoat will be the artist featured at the Highland County Court House.

Submitted by Avery Applegate, Highland County Historical Society.

The Highland County Court House will be a stop on the Highland County Historical Society’s annual Tour of Homes and Historic Buildings on Sunday, June 11.
http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/33/2017/06/web1_Court-House.jpgThe Highland County Court House will be a stop on the Highland County Historical Society’s annual Tour of Homes and Historic Buildings on Sunday, June 11.

Submitted story

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU