The Highland County Historical Society is celebrating the 50th year of the Highland House Museum serving as its headquarters and its first event there this year will be a St. Patrick’s Day Brunch on Sunday, March 13.
The brunch will run from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and the menu will include potatoes O’Brien, veggie quiche, sausage gravy and biscuits, scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit, pastries and drinks.
At noon that day a 23-inch by 24-inch framed print titled “Love is Beautiful” that’s number and signed by artist Walt Harris, a Northwest native, will be auctioned off by Lowell Chaney.
The print was donated by Jean Fawley, a museum volunteer.
Donations for the brunch will be accepted and the proceeds will be used to pay utility bills and routine maintenance of the Highland House and Scott House.
Reservations for the brunch can be made by calling 937-393-3392 by Monday, March 7. Leave your name, phone number and the number of reservations being requested.
The museum gift shop will be open during the brunch.
The society purchased what is now known as the Highland House in 1966 and held its first meeting there that year on May 26. Improvements, restoration and repairs began around that time and continue today.
The structure was built from 1842 to 1844 by Peter Leake Ayres as a home. When complete, it had 14 rooms and a large entrance hall. The structure remained a home through several owners until April 1870 when the Highland Institute Board purchased it for use as a boarding house for its female students. But that plan never became a reality, according to the society’s records.
At some point before 1887, the building became a hotel owned by Joseph Gaskill. Various owners continued to operate the building as a hotel until 1964 when it was purchased by Helen Boyd.
Reach Jeff Gilliland at 937-402-2522 or on Twitter @13gillilandj.