During the month of June, the Highland County Health Department will be offering free PSA screenings. Free screenings are available to men age 50 and older and who are a resident of Highland County. Testing can be done at the Care-A-Van or by calling the health department to schedule an appointment.
Prostate cancer facts:
• One in seven men will get prostate cancer in their lifetime;
• The American Cancer Society estimates that there will be more than 180,000 new cases of prostate cancer in the United States in 2016 and more than 26,000 deaths from this disease;
• Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, second to lung cancer;
• About six cases in 10 are diagnosed in men 65 years of age and older;
• The average age of diagnosis is 66 years old;
• Early detection of prostate cancer significantly increases the chance of survival from this disease.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact the Highland County Health Departrnent at 937-393-1941.
Submitted by Karen Vanzant, Highland County Health Department.