- 1866 - The Cincinnati Baseball Club, aka the Red Stockings, forms
- 1925 - Lou Gehrig hits the first of his 23 career grand slams
- 2009 - Mark Buehrle becomes 18th pitcher in MLB history to throw a perfect game
- 1964 - Joe Hiestand was featured in the July issue of American Rifleman as their shooting champion of the month
- 1964 - The Annual Little League Tournament in Hillsboro had 11 teams entered to play at what is now Richard Shaffer Park
- 1998 - Frank (Wally) Cox, a 1998 graduate of Fairfield High School, signed to play baseball with the NCAA Division III Wilmington College Quakers
- 2005 - The 31st Annual Tournament of Champions began. The tournament had 34 teams in two brackets; 12 and under and 15 and under.
Robert Stegbauer is a staff reporter for the Times-Gazette and can be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on Twitter at RStegbauer.