Do you have kids who love science, technology, engineering, arts (design) and mathematics? Check out the STEAM Summer Camps offered in Hillsboro and Wilmington through a partnership between Southern State Community College and the Southern Ohio Educational Service Center.
Each of the 12 programs is designed to bring campers’ ideas to life in a fun, hands-on learning environment. From concept to creation, students will demonstrate their masterpieces at the end of each week. All STEAM Summer Camp programs mirror real-life experiences and the collaborative nature of the design process.
The curriculum is provided through Black Rocket and Sciensational Workshops for Kids, Inc. Each session includes a $149 fee and will be hosted on either SSCC’s Central Campus, 100 Hobart Drive, Hillsboro; or SSCC’s North Campus, 1270 Davids Drive, Wilmington.
To learn more or to register, contact Kim Fitzpatrick at 800-628-7722, ext. 4684, or email@example.com. For more information, visit www.sscc.edu/students/events/assets/steam-flyer.pdf.
PROGRAMS OFFERED IN HILLSBORO
• Make Your First 3D Video Game – Students will learn the physics behind 3D games, explore beginner event scripting, level design, controlling flow of gameplay, and storytelling – Session 1 (ages 8-11) will be held 9 a.m. to 12 noon from July 10-14; Session 2 (ages 11-14) will be held 1:30-4:30 p.m. from July 10-14.
• Arcade Electronics Galore – Students will use resistors, switches, wires, LED diodes, transistors and more to build and play their own arcade games – Session 1 (ages 11-14) will be held 1-4 p.m. from July 17-21.
• App Adventures: The Next Level! – Students will choose from a selection of different web-based (HTML5) mobile apps and explore in-depth programming concepts – Session 1 (ages 8-11) will be held 9 a.m. to 12 noon from July 24-28; Session 2 (ages 11-14) will be held 1:30-4:30 p.m. from July 24-28.
• CSI Crime Investigation – Students will learn about forensics, crime scene investigations, and crime lab chemistry as they perform as many as 15 different experiments designed to show how those tricky cases are solved – Session 1 (ages 8-11) will be held 1-4 p.m. from July 31-August 4.
PROGRAMS OFFERED IN WILMINGTON
• Model Airplanes | Bridge Building | Electronic Gadgets – Students will learn simple engineering skills to build electronic projects, including a rubber-powered model airplane, model bridge, patrol car siren, burglar alarm, and Morse Code transmitter – Session 1 (ages 8-11) will be held 9 a.m. to 12 noon from July 10-14.
• Minecraft Modders – Students will use a favorite game to learn introductory coding, scripting and logic statements, the basics of modding, and the foundations of programming – Session 1 (ages 8-11) will be held 9 a.m. to 12 noon from July 17-21; Session 2 (ages 11-14) will be held 1:30-4:30 p.m. from July 17-21.
• Robotic Arm Science – Students will learn the science of robotics as they have fun building, commanding, and taking home their own five-motor arm – Session 1 (ages 11-14) will be held 9 a.m. to 12 noon from July 24-28.
• Minecraft Animators – Students will bring their favorite Minecraft characters to life in an animated short film by using techniques like keyframing, tweening, texturing, and animating rigged 3D models – Session 1 (ages 8-11) will be held 9 a.m. to 12 noon from July 31-August 4; Session 2 (ages 11-14) will be held 1:30-4:30 p.m. from July 31-August 4.
Submitted by Kris Cross, director of public relations, Southern State Community College.