The 2015-16 Ohio Cattlemen’s Association (OCA) BEST (Beef Exhibitor Show Total) program wrapped up on May 7 with its annual awards banquet held at the Ohio Expo Center in Columbus.
“The banquet is a time to celebrate the many achievements of our BEST participants, both in and out of the show ring,” said Stephanie Sindel, BEST coordinator. “Each participant is recognized for their hard work by family, friends and BEST supporters alike.”
Several representatives from the program sponsors were on hand to help present awards totaling more than $50,000 in belt buckles, luggage, show materials and other awards.
This year’s BEST program featured 15 sanctioned shows that weaved its way across the state with over 550 youth participants showing 740 head of market animals and heifers. The following Highland County youth were recognized:
• Second place in the Beginner Division of the photo contest went to Ashton Bain, the son of Jeff Bain of Lynchburg.
• The fifth Overall Angus Heifer was exhibited by Baylee Carey from Highland County. Her heifer is a March daughter out of Bad Romance. She is the daughter of Brandon Vance from Hillsboro.
• Claiming the seventh Overall Beginner Showman award was Blake Herdman, the daughter of Rusty Herdman from Hillsboro.
• This year’s seventh Overall Senior Showman was Bricen Hess, the son of Brad and Kim Hess from Sardinia.
• Earning Champion Novice Market Animal and Champion Angus Steer honors was Carly Sanders of Hillsboro. Her Angus steer is out of Dameron First Class. She also earned the title of eighth Overall Beginner Showman. She is the daughter of Dave and Mindy Sanders.
• The fifth Overall Beginner Showman for this season was Sydney Sanders, the daughter of Dave and Mindy Sanders.
• Ashton Bain, Blake Herdman, Carly Sanders and Sydney Sanders were all recognized for their perfect attendance at every BEST show.
Submitted by Katie Gossett, OCA director of communications.