This year’s summer reading program is underway at the Hillsboro Public Library. Our theme is “On Your Mark, Get Set, Read!” with an emphasis on the upcoming Summer Olympics.
Children ages 2 through sixth grade can sign up for their reading passport and start checking out books to earn prizes. There is also the opportunity to enter our weekly drawing everytime children come to the library. In addition to earning prizes for reading, we also have many programs planned throughout June and July.
Our upcoming programs include:
• June 16 at 5:30 p.m. – Come and join us for a fun-filled evening of music and games with the Aqua Princess, everyone’s favorite red-headed mermaid.
• June 23 at 5:30 p.m. – We will be playing a life-sized board game as children Race to Mt. Olympus and meet some of our favorite ancient Greek characters.
• June 30 at 5:30 p.m. – Our Olympic Bingo Night is fun for the whole family. Come pick up a card and listen for your chance to shout “Bingo!” and win a cool prize.
• July 7 at 3:30 p.m. – Poof Daddy Magic will be presenting a fast-paced, up-beat, and off-the-wall comedy magic show geared toward sports, health and fitness.
• July 15 at 4 p.m. – Hillsboro’s own 3G Karate will be giving a karate demonstration that isn’t to be missed.
• July 30 – Last day to turn in summer reading logs.
And don’t think we’ve forgotten our teen and adult patrons. Teens and adults can sign up for the summer reading program as well. For every book they read, they can fill out an entry slip and be entered to win a weekly drawing.
Storytime continues this summer once a month. Each storytime will include a reading and a craft. Storytime will meet the following Wednesdays – Newborns to 2-year-olds at 11 a.m. and 3- to 5-year-olds at 11:30 a.m.
• June 15 – Independence Day
• July 13 – Summer Vacation
• August 17 – Back to School
We hope to see you at our summer reading program. On your mark, get set, read!
Gabrielle Pitzer is the Children’s Library manager at the Hillsboro Public Library.