Annual Veterans Day events are scheduled at Hillsboro VFW Post 9094 and numerous other locations throughout and near Highland County.
Rick Wilkin, Hillsboro VFW commander, said that the guest speaker Saturday, Nov. 11 will be Congressman Brad Wenstrup. Wilkin said that while things other than the speaker will be pretty much the same as they have been in past years with patriotic music and presentations, there will be no rifle volley.
“Veterans Day is to honor all veterans alive or gone. That’s why you don’t do a volley,” Wilkin said. “When we go to schools or other places and someone requests it, we’ll do it, but the proper thing is not to do it.”
The Hillsboro VFW program is open to the public and following it anyone who attended is welcome to stay for a light lunch.
The Highland County Veterans Honor Guard will participate in nine Veterans Day events over a 10-day period.
Below is a list of Veterans Day events provided by the Honor Guard and others throughout Highland County.
• Thursday, Nov. 2 – Leesburg Lions Club Veterans Dinner, Leesburg Community Room (firehouse), 6 p.m.
• Friday, Nov. 3 – Highland County Senior Citizens Veterans Day Program and Dinner. Doors open at 5 p.m. when a dinner is served, followed by a program. Dinner is free to all veterans. Dinner for anyone else is $7. Alex Butler will be the guest speaker. All proceeds benefit the Hillsboro VFW Veterans Relief Fund. Those planning to attend should RSVP to the center at 937-393-4745.
• Saturday, Nov. 4 – Lynchburg-Clay High School Patriotic 5K Run/Walk. Uptown Lynchburg, across from library, 8 a.m. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Highland County Veterans Honor Guard.
• Saturday, Nov. 4 – Veterans Appreciation Parade, Bainbridge, 2 p.m.
• Saturday, Nov. 4 – Hillsboro VFW Post 9094 Fish Fry, 4:30 p.m., 1000 W. Main St. (behind Dairy Queen).
• Saturday, Nov. 4 – Best of America Christmas Show, 7 p.m., Paxton Theatre in Bainbridge.
• Tuesday, Nov. 7 – Bell Gardens Veterans Day Program in Hillsboro, 1:30 p.m.
• Wednesday, Nov. 8 – The Laurels of Hillsboro Veterans Day Program, 2 p.m.
• Thursday, Nov. 9 – Hillsboro Christian Academy Veterans Program and Lunch, 9:30 a.m.
• Thursday, Nov. 9 – Lynchburg-Clay Middle School Veterans Program, 12:15 p.m.
• Thursday, Nov. 9 – Fifth annual Veterans Appreciation Night, Highland County Veterans Service Office, 1575 N. High St., Hillsboro, 5 p.m.
• Friday, Nov. 10 – Lynchburg-Clay High School Veterans Breakfast and Program, 8 a.m.
• Friday, Nov. 10 – Whiteoak High School Veterans Breakfast with a program and dedication of a new veterans monument, 8 a.m.
• Friday, Nov. 10 – East Clinton High School Veterans Breakfast and Program, 9 a.m.
• Friday, Nov. 10 – Fairfield Elementary Veterans Day Program (middle school gym), 10:15 a.m.
• Friday, Nov. 10 – Hillsboro High School Veterans Lunch and Program, call 937-393-3485 for reservations, lunch at noon, program at 1 p.m.
• Friday, Nov. 10 – Fairfield MS/HS Veterans Day Program (high school gym), 1:40 p.m.
• Friday, Nov. 10 – Bright Local Elementary Veterans Day Program (gym), 1:45 p.m.
• Saturday, Nov. 11 – Little Caesar’s special (veteran ID required), 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Saturday, Nov. 11 – KFC free $5 fill-up with veteran ID, all day.
• Saturday, Nov. 11 – Hillsboro VFW Post 9094 Veterans Program, 11 a.m. A light lunch will be provided.
• Saturday, Nov. 11 – Highland County Veterans Dinner, hosted by Disabled American Veterans Lloyd C. Ludwick Chapter 123, Pondo Banquet Center, 545 S. High St., Hillsboro, 4:30 p.m.
• Monday, Nov. 13 – Veterans eat free at Hillsboro Ponderosa, all day.
• Sunday, Nov. 19 – SSCC Community Band Veterans Concert, central campus auditorium in Hillsboro, 3 p.m.
Reach Jeff Gilliland at 937-402-2522 or firstname.lastname@example.org.