Faulty HVAC motor forces evacuation


By Jeff Gilliland - jgilliland@timesgazette.com



Firefighters work at the scene of a possible fire at 599 Harry Sauner Road in Hillsboro.

Firefighters work at the scene of a possible fire at 599 Harry Sauner Road in Hillsboro.


A faulty HVAC unit was the cause of smoke that forced the evacuation of NCB suites Monday at 599 Harry Sauner Road in Hillsboro.

The Paint Creek Joint EMS/Fire District received a call reporting a possible structure fire in the suites around 11 a.m.

Paint Creek Public Information Officer Branden Jackman said a motor on an HVAC unit on the roof of the suites burned up and smoke from the motor got into the suite’s HVAC system, which resulted in a light haze of smoke filling the suites.

Only the NCB suites in the building that also houses True Life Chiropractic, Cricket and Adena Rehabilitation were evacuated, Jackman said, adding that NCB employees were allowed to re-enter the suites at 11:47 a.m.

The suites are located in a strip mall behind the former Dakota’s location off Harry Sauner Road.

Jackman said there were no injuries.

Fire crews from Lynchburg and Leesburg were originally called in for mutual aid, but were called off before they arrived on the scene.

Firefighters work at the scene of a possible fire at 599 Harry Sauner Road in Hillsboro.
https://www.timesgazette.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/33/2018/06/web1_NCB-Harry-Sauner-pic-1.jpgFirefighters work at the scene of a possible fire at 599 Harry Sauner Road in Hillsboro.

By Jeff Gilliland

jgilliland@timesgazette.com