Hello! It is beginning to look like spring. Flowers are beginning to come up. Yay! I love the warmer weather and the time change.
Now it’s time to get cooking. Easter is coming and I have the perfect desert to fix. You can’t go wrong with cheesecake. But for those on low carb — its not for you or me — I am going to make this and eat at least two or three piece and maybe more. How about a diet drink to go with it. Ha ha.
In the kitchen with me this week is Cindy Boyd. Everyone that knows Cindy knows that she is a great cook and baker and a wonderful person. I love Cindy. She is always putting her food on Facebook, I have been asking her to share, and she did. Thank you so much Cindy.
I am getting so much great feedback on all of the recipes, Keep them coming! Anyone that has a recipe to share, please drop it off at The Time-Gazette offices at 108 Gov. Trimble Place, Hillsboro, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I am looking forward to hearing from you.
2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 40 squares)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
1. In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, sugar and cinnamon; stir in butter. Presss onto the bottom and 2 inches up the sides of a greased nine-inch springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees for five minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add egg yolks; beat on low just until combined.
3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into cream cheese mixture. Pour over crust.
4. Bake for 1 hour or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Coll 1 hour longer. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
5. Combine sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Fold in whipped cream. Spread over cheesecake. Refrigerate overnight. Remove sides of pan.
Sharon Hughes is the advertising manager at The Times-Gazette. She is also a mother, grandmother and chef. She can be reached at 937-393-3456.