Are you thinking about attending college but have questions about how to get started? Then your very first step is attending Southern State Community College’s Connect to College visitation day Friday, Oct. 9, at SSCC’s Central Campus, 100 Hobart Drive, Hillsboro.
The agenda for the Connect to College event includes:
• 8:30 a.m. – Registration
• 9 a.m. – Welcome and General Information
• 9:05 a.m. – Introduction to Career Fair & Major Exploration
• 9:15 a.m. – Are You College Ready? (Academic Readiness, Applying to Colleges, Avoiding Costly Mistakes, and Student Resources)
• 9:40 a.m. – Start Here to Transfer There
• 10 a.m. – Concurrent Session 1*
• 10:25 a.m. – Concurrent Session 2*
• 10:50 a.m. – Concurrent Session 3*
• 11:15 a.m. – Concurrent Session 4*
• 11:35 a.m. – College Recruiters and Career Fair (Ohio State University, Wright State University, Northern Kentucky University, Antioch University Midwest, Ohio Christian University, Lindsey Wilson College, Wilmington College)
Concurrent assigns will provide information on SSCC’s health science majors (medical assisting and nursing); engineering majors (HVAC, aviation, and electromechanical engineering); as well as the agriculture and biotechnology majors.
Connect to College will allow Southern State’s tutors, advisers, coaches, and career staff to share knowledge and strategies essential to being a successful college student via informational sessions and interactive activities in the following areas:
• Choosing the Right Career and Major – Discover programs that will get you on the right path to your ideal career;
• Getting College Ready – Learn about placement testing and what courses you qualify for;
• Staying on Top of Academic Work – Understand how to use a syllabus, campus resources, and time in an effective manner;
• Creating an Academic Plan – Develop a plan with your advisor to complete a degree on time;
• Avoiding Costly Mistakes – Learn about sequencing, maximum time frame, starting prerequisites, and other financial issues;
• Maintaining a High GPA – Discover how to use a GPA calculator to monitor grades and learn when to consider retaking or withdrawing from a course; and
• Learning College Speak – Learn various terms that will help you throughout your college career.
To learn more about the Oct. 9 event, visit www.sscc.edu/ctoc/index.shtml for additional information and an online registration form. If you have questions about the Connect to College event, contact Shannon Chain at 800-628-7722, ext. 2825, or email@example.com.
Submitted by Kris Cross, SSCC director of public relations.