The 7th annual early childhood education conference, “Building Bridges,” will be held July 20-23 at the Southern State Community College Central Campus in Hillsboro.
The conference is sponsored by Southern State Community College, and sessions are approved by the Ohio Department of Education, Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, and Step Up To Quality.
“Building Bridges” is for infant, toddler and preschool teachers, paraprofessionals, special education teachers, pre-k through third grade teachers, and other interested parties. Morning sessions will be held from 8:45-11:45 a.m., and afternoon sessions from 12:30-3:30 p.m.
The conference fee is $25 per day, which includes continental breakfast, lunch, materials, and prizes. Registration is required by July 10. To register, visit www.surveymonkey.com/r/VWLSBJG and contact Robin Tholen at 937-393-3431 x2671 or RTholen@sscc.edu for more information.
Workshops offered throughout the conference include:
• “The Role of the Paraprofessional” and “Collaboration: Teachers and Paras Working Together” will be presented by Dr. Teri Wallace of the University of Minnesota;
• “Autism: Developing Behaviors” and “Autism and Instructional Practices” will be presented by Nikki Green of Region 14 Hopewell Center;
• “Assistive Technology” will be presented by Michael Roush of Region 14 Hopewell Center;
• “Supporting the Needs of Medically Fragile Students” will be presented by Laura Johnson, RN of Hillsboro City Schools;
• “Supporting the Students with Emotional Challenges” will be presented by Martin Dobson, M.S., Psychologist, and Maggie Gilmore, M.Ed., LPC-CR, Mental Health Counselor, both of Greenfield Exempted Village Schools;
• “Guiding Children’s Behaviors,” “ELDS Level 1: Overview and Introduction” and “Introduction to Technology in the Early Learning Classroom” will be presented by Becky Storer, Associate Professor of Southern State Community College;
• “ELDS Social Studies-Part 1 & Part 2” and “ELDS Language and Literacy-Part 1 & Part 2” (for preschool teachers/staff) will be presented by Linda Mead of Region 14 Hopewell Center; and
• Emergency First Aid Procedures and CPR Training will be presented by Sharon Fugate, Registered Nurse and Instructor at Southern State Community College.
Additional sessions will be offered on: “Core Knowledge & Competencies,” “ELDS Motor Development-Part 1 & Part 2” (for infant/toddler teachers/staff), “ELDS Language and Literacy-Part 1 & Part 2” (for infant/toddler teachers/staff), “ELDS Social/Emotional Development-Part 1 & Part 2” (for infant/toddler teachers/staff), “ELDS Social/Emotional Development-Part 1 & Part 2” (for preschool teachers/staff), “Child Abuse Recognition,” and “Communicable Diseases.”
For more information and to register, visit www.surveymonkey.com/r/VWLSBJG.
Submitted by Kris Cross, SSCC director of public relations.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU