Highland County has a plethora of events scheduled in recognition of Veterans Day, starting Friday, Nov. 6 and running through Sunday, Nov. 22.
Following is a list of those events provided by the Highland County Veterans Service Commission:
• Friday, Nov. 6 – Highland County Senior Citizens Center Veterans Dinner. It starts at 5 p.m. at 185 Muntz St., Hillsboro. Dinner is free to all veterans and $5 for anyone else that wants to come and support them. Proceeds go to the Hillsboro VFW to support Highland County veterans in need.
• Saturday, Nov. 7 – DAV Annual Veterans Dinner at 4 p.m. at Pondo Banquet Room in Hillsboro. It is open to all veterans and spouses.
• Monday, Nov. 9 – Highland County Veterans Service Commission 3rd annual Veterans Appreciation Night. Runs 5-8 p.m. at Hi-Tech Building conference rooms, 1575 N. High St., Hillsboro. It’s open to all veterans and anyone who’d liked to recognize them. There will be at least 25 vendors offering veterans haircuts, messages, information, candles and more.
“When we implemented it we asked area businesses and organizations to set up a vendor table, for free, and the only thing we asked is that they have something to give the veterans when they come through the door,” said Stephanie Roland of the local Veterans Service Commission. “Last year it was packed wall to wall and this year it’s going to be even bigger.”
Those attending are welcome to bring a non-perishable food item/snack or personnel hygiene items for Support Our Troops of Highland County’s Annual Christmas Care Packages that will be sent to troops deployed overseas.
• Monday, Nov. 9 – From 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. the Leesburg Library will pass appreciation bags out to veterans.
• Tuesday, Nov. 10 – From 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., the Leesburg Library will again pass appreciation bags out to veterans.
• Tuesday, Nov. 10 – At 2:30 p.m., Bell Gardens Place Veterans Day Program at 251 Harry Sauner Road, Hillsboro. It’s for veteran residents and their spouses and families.
On Veterans Day, Wednesday, Nov. 11, there are several events planned:
• Hillsboro Ponderosa will offer veterans a free meal all day during regular business hours.
• Lynchburg-Clay High School Veterans Day Program – 8 a.m. refreshments and 9 a.m. program.
• Bright Local Jr. High/Sr. High School Veterans Day Program – 9 a.m. meet and greet and 9:30 a.m. program.
• Fairfield Elementary Veterans Day Program – 10:15 a.m. in the middle school gym.
• Hillsboro VFW Post 9094 Veterans Day Program – 11 a.m. and open to the public.
• Hillsboro High School Veterans Day Assembly & Lunch – 11 a.m. lunch and 12:15 p.m. program. Lunch is by RSVP only by calling 393-3485 by Nov. 6.
• Fairfield High School Veterans Day Program – 1:30 p.m.
• Bright Local Elementary Veterans Day Program – 2 p.m. in cafetorium.
• The Laurels Veteran Residents Program – 2:30 p.m.
• Hillsboro Intermediate School 5th Grade Musical – 6:30 p.m. at Hillsboro Elementary School.
• Thursday Nov. 12 – 10 a.m., Veterans Day Celebration at Hillsboro Christian Academy at Hillsboro Nazarene Church. Open to all veterans.
• Thursday, Nov. 12 – 4 p.m., CMT Concert & Resource Fair, Southern State Community College in Hillsboro. Underemployed veterans and spouses are encouraged to attend.
• Friday, Nov. 13 – 12:15 p.m. at Lynchburg-Clay Middle School gym. Honoring Our Veterans Program. Veterans and their families are welcome.
• Friday, Nov. 13 – 6:15 p.m. at Leesburg Firehouse Community Room, Leesburg Lions Club Veteran Program. Leesburg area veterans and spouses are welcome.
• Sunday, Nov. 22 – 3 p.m., Free Veterans Day Band Concert in auditorium at Southern State Community College in Hillsboro featuring SSCC Community Band and Choir, Paint Valley JROTC Cadets and Highland County Honor Guard.