The Amazing Race of Highland County, a race challenge that benefits local nonprofits, is coming up this weekend, and online registration remains open.
The race will be held this Saturday, Aug. 12, with staggered start times beginning at 10 a.m.
According to Alex Butler, a coordinator of the event, registration for a two-person team is $120 online and $130 on race day. Those who wish to register online may do so by visiting www.amazingraceofhc.org.
Butler said this will be the race’s fifth year.
“Over the past five years, the Amazing Race has given back over $50,000 to local organizations,” he said.
According to Butler, there will also be a free race for children from 12:30-1 p.m. Those allowed to enter the small course are children ages 5-11.
Butler said food vendors will include Cowaburger, Big Ernie’s Pizza and Wut Up Dawg hotdog stand.
The race begins and ends at Liberty Park in Hillsboro.
As described on its website, “The Amazing Race of Highland County is a two-person team running (or run/walk) event. It is a cross-country race, approximately 7-8 km long, but along the race route will be 20 roadblocks, or challenges. Each team must complete a task or challenge before continuing. These roadblocks are designed to test, and reward (or penalize) your memory, quick thinking, sporting and/or gaming skills.”
The following non-profit organizations will man a roadblock in exchange for a $500 donation.
• Alternatives to Violence Center.
• Altrusa of Highland County.
• Because He Lives Food Pantry.
• Boy Scout Troop 120 of Lynchburg.
• Festival of the Bells.
• Greenfield Area Christian Center.
• Highland County DJFS.
• Highland County Community Action.
• Highland County Historical Society.
• Highland County Homeless Shelter.
• Highland County Humane Society.
• Highland County Special Olympics.
• Highland District Hospital.
• Hillsboro After Prom.
• Hillsboro Christian Academy.
• Hillsboro Emblem Club #277.
• Hillsboro First Baptist Church.
• Hillsboro High School Swim Team.
• Hillsboro High School Wrestling.
• Hillsboro Youth Football.
• Mowrystown American Legion Club.
• Mowrystown Lions Club.
• Support Our Troops of Highland County.
More information can be found at www.amazingraceofhc.org, and questions can be directed to email@example.com.
Reach David Wright at 937-402-2570, or on Twitter @DavidWrighter.