Weekend fight sends man to hospital


An alleged Sunday fight ended with one man reportedly going to the hospital and another being charged with obstructing official business.

According to an affidavit filed with the Hillsboro Municipal Court, the Highland County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 transfer from Brown County shortly before 1 a.m.

The affidavit states that the call came from a “screaming male who advised that he wasn’t going to answer one … question, but (deputies) had better get to Buford right now or people are going die.” The affidavit adds that the man was cursing.

When dispatch asked the caller what was happening, he reportedly said “a man with a switchblade tried to cut his throat so he ‘laid him … out,” according to the affidavit.

Dispatch then asked if there were other weapons, and the caller reportedly “replied knives and chairs,” the affidavit adds.

The affidavit further states that two deputies responded to the incident, which the caller reported was occurring “right next to the school.”

While the deputies were attempting to locate the fight, dispatch reportedly advised them that “(the sheriff’s office has) had dealings” with two people allegedly present at the fight at a SR 138 residence, according to the affidavit.

When deputies arrived at that residence they spoke with a female who allegedly said “nothing” was going on. The affidavit states that one of the deputies then reportedly “advised that something went on here” because “the house was a mess.”

The second deputy reported that he then looked into the residence, where “it was apparent that some kind of altercation took place,” the affidavit adds.

Deputies then reportedly checked the residence for injured persons. When they entered the kitchen, they “started seeing spots of blood on the floor going toward the hallway,” the affidavit states.

At that time, a male subject – later identified as Gary R. Runyon, 52, Sardinia – came out the bedroom and allegedly “started yelling … (at the deputies) to get out of his house and that (they) needed a search warrant,” according to the affidavit.

The affidavit adds that Runyon was “bleeding from his head.”

After Runyon allegedly continued to argue, the deputies told him to have a seat on the couch and not to interfere. The deputies then allegedly “located another male with severe injuries to the face in the hallway,” the affidavit states.

No other injured individuals were found.

When life squads arrived, Runyon allegedly started “yelling at them to get out of the residence and that they were not checking him or (the other male),” according to the affidavit.

The affidavit adds that Runyon refused treatment.

According to Highland County Sheriff Donnie Barrera, the other man — a relative of Runyon’s — was transported to Mount Orab Mercy Hospital.

A report from the sheriff’s office adds that Runyon was transported to the Highland County Justice Center and charged with obstructing official business. The report further states that “this incident remains under investigation and additional arrests are possible.”

Runyon appeared on his charge, a second-degree misdemeanor, on Monday. He pled no contest and was found guilty, according to municipal court records.

A 90-day jail sentence was suspended, records add. Runyon will have to pay half of a $750 fine. He was placed on non-reporting probation.

Reach Sarah Allen at 937-393-3456, ext. 1680, or on Twitter @SarahAllenHTG.

No posts to display