Suspect charged with rape arrested in Wilmington


A Hilllsboro man indicted on a charge of first-degree felony rape was arrested after allegedly trying to elude officers shortely after midnight Sunday by the Wilmington Police Department.

The Times-Gazette previously reported that Devin Hartley, 19, allegedly “engage(d) in sexual conduct with… a juvenile” between Dec. 15, 2013 and April 20, 2014, according to an indictment handed down by a Highland County grand jury last week.

The indictment added that the juvenile was reportedly 12 years old.

Wilmington Police Chief Duane Weyand said the department received a tip that Hartley was around the 500 block of Rombach Avenue.

According to a press release, units searched the area and received additional tips that he was trying to avoid WPD officers by running near the tracks and behind various houses and businesses in the area. A K-9 was used to search the area, as well as an Ohio State Highway Patrol helicopter.

A short time later Hartley was located under a porch at 559 Rombach Ave., police said. He was turned over to deputies from Highland County, where he will face charges in Highland County Common Pleas Court.

Hartley has also appeared in Hillsboro Municipal Court multiple times this year, as previously detailed by The Times-Gazette.

He was sentenced to 54 days in jail this past May after he appeared on a bench warrant. The warrant was issued after Hartley failed to appear for a pretrial. At that time, Hartley had pending charges for three counts of first-degree misdemeanor theft and three counts of fourth-degree misdemeanor trespassing.

The 54-day jail sentence was imposed on a case from last year, when he pled guilty to second-degree misdemeanor attempting to purchase an illegal amount of pseudoephedrine.

In June, Hartley entered an agreement on his theft and trespassing charges, which stemmed from alleged vehicle break-ins. A co-defendant previously pled guilty to his charges.

As per the agreement, Hartley pled guilty to the trespassing charges, and his theft charges were dismissed. Thirty-day jail sentences were suspended on each count, and he was ordered to pay $375 in restitution and complete a total of 90 hours of community service.

Hartley allegedly tried to elude officers, located under porch

The Times-Gazette

No posts to display