Updated: Mad River Road standoff ends in suicide


Updated with additional comments from Sheriff Donnie Barrera.

A standoff that began Saturday night on Mad River Road and lasted more than 11 hours ended with an apparent suicide, according to Highland County Sheriff Donnie Barrera.

According to a press release from the sheriff’s office, the incident began around 10:30 p.m. Saturday when sheriff’s deputies attempted to serve a felony warrant from Hamilton County at 7940 Mad River Road in Union Township. Barrera later told The Times-Gazette the warrant was for a drug-related offense.

The subject of the warrant was James W. Jordan, 35, who was seen standing on the porch of the residence when deputies arrived, according to the press release. Upon seeing deputies, Jordan apparently ran back into the mobile home.

Barrera said deputies entered the home and observed Jordan with a gun in his hand. Jordan told deputies he was not coming out and not going back to prision, according to the release. Jordan then entered a bedroom and barricaded himself inside. Deputies contacted the Special Response Team and the Hillsboro Police Department, who came to assist.

Communications were set up with Jordan, and deputies spoke with him by telephone, learning that a female was barricaded with him in the bedroom. The Mt. Orab SWAT team was called to the scene, and a perimeter was maintained and secured, with communication still in place with Jordan.

After about three hours, contact was lost. The Clermont County Sheriff’s Office’s SWAT team was called in and asked to assist, and began negotiations, and telephone communications were regained, according to Barrera.

With Jordan still insisting he was not going back to prison, the Clermont County SWAT team used a “method of distraction,” and the female came out of the home and was taken into custody. She was identified as Kali Bartram, 18, and it was found she had a warrant in Highland County for failure to appear.

The Clermon County team again continued communicating with Jordan, but after he insisted he was not coming out of the home, the team again attempted to distract Jordan, at which time a single gunshot was heard from inside the home. According to the press release, Jordan took his own life.

Highland County Coroner Jeff Beery was called to the scene, and the incident remains under investigation.

Barrera later told The Times-Gazette that additional law enforcement agencies were called in throughout the process in part because of fatigue on the part of officers as the standoff dragged on. Also, Clermont County has a special military-style vehicle it was able to provide for such events.

Barrera, who was on the scene throughout the night and into Sunday morning, said it was “sad” that the standoff ended with Jordan taking his own life. “We tried to talk him out of it,” said the sheriff.


The Times-Gazette

No posts to display