LC sweeps HHS in soccer


The Hillsboro boys and girls soccer team hosted Lynchburg-Clay high school on Monday evening for a cross-county match up. At the end of the night, Lynchburg had taken home two wins with their girls winning the first game 4-1 and the boys winning 4-2.

In the first game, the Lady Mustangs took an early lead with a deep shot from Angela McLaughlin off a pass from Peyton Scott only seven minutes into the game.

Hillsboro answered back quickly with a goal of their own with 30:09 showing on the clock with a goal from Callan Myers. This tied the score at one goal for each team. Unfortunately, this was the final goal for the Lady Indians.

Lynchburg struck twice more in the first half with goals from Lexi Waits (21:54) off a corner kick from Shelby Chisman, and Peyton Scott scored with 20:08 left to bring the halftime score to 3-1 in favor of the Lady Mustangs.

The lone score in the second half came off the foot of Serena Smith on a penalty kick with 13:26 to bring the game to its final score of 4-1.

“Hillsboro plays tough and Hillsboro plays really well,” said Lady Mustangs Coach Dennis West. “I was really impressed by Natalie Sullivan. She just was all over the place. She really played well. We got good play from people that we normally don’t have to rely as much on for scoring but tonight, some of our normal scorers were struggling a little bit and the other girls picked it up and glad to get out of here with a win against a very good club. Hillsboro is going to surprise some people. They know how to play and Coach Ratcliff does a good job with them.”

The second game of the night was a lively one, pairing the Mustangs and the Indians. In total, the game saw six yellow cards in the 4-2 victory by Lynchburg.

Lynchburg’s Austin Hilt drew first blood in the game, finding the back of the net with a shot for Lynchburg with 29:39 on the clock to give his team the 1-0 advantage. The Mustangs came back 18 minutes later (11:32) with a goal off the foot of Kyle Luneke to make it a 2-0 deficit for their opponents. The Indians finally got on the scoreboard with just 13 seconds left to play in the first half on a penalty kick from Quinn Conlon to make it 2-1 at halftime.

Hillsboro took 12 minutes and 10 second to tie the game after the half with another penalty kick from Quinn Conlon to make it 2-2. Neither team did much until Lynchburg finally broke free with 10:14 on the clock with a score from Chris Young to make it 3-2 Lynchburg. The final goal of the night was from Kyle Luneke not moments after the last Mustangs goal. With 9:41 left to play, the score was made 4-2 and that’s where it would stay until the final whistle.

“This was our first game back with Kyle [Luneke] and Austin [Hilt] after they were out a couple games,” said Lynchburg Head Coach Dennis West after the game. “We just weren’t playing well. Everyone was trying to do too much. We’ve been trying to talk to these guys about just playing your normal game, rely on your teammates and don’t try to over play everything. We got better in the second half, especially towards the end but we have to get back to the way we were playing right before fair break. We were playing outrageously good soccer. We’ll get there. We have three days before we see Fairfield and we’ll get things squared away before then.”

Reach Robert Stegbauer at 937-393-3456 ext. 1679 or on Twitter @RStegbauer.

Shelby Chisman sends the ball back upfield during the game on Monday night. Chisman sends the ball back upfield during the game on Monday night. Robert Stegbauer | The Times-Gazette

Quintin Smith looks for a teammate during the game Monday night. Smith looks for a teammate during the game Monday night. Robert Stegbauer | The Times-Gazette

By Robert Stegbauer

[email protected]

No posts to display