High speed chase ends with 2 arrests


A man and woman were jailed after a long high speed chase that started late Wednesday evening in Greenfield and ended in Ross County.

The chase started at 10:58 p.m., according to Greenfield Police Chief Jeremiah Oyer, when an officer attempted to pull a vehicle over for reckless operation and failure to use a turn signal. The police chief said that at that point the suspect vehicle took off in an aggressive manner and almost struck another vehicle.

The chase started on Spring Street in Greenfield, lasted 40 to 45 minutes, reached “very high rates of speed at times,” and ended on SR 28 just outside Lyndon in Ross County when the suspect vehicle became disabled and came to a stop, Oyer said.

“He pretty much blew the car up,” Oyer said.

The alleged driver, Tad Price, 41, of Greenfield, was uncooperative after the vehicle broke down, Oyer said, and had to be forcefully taken into custody.

Oyer said Price was charged with reckless operation, driving under suspension, resisting arrest and failure to comply with the order of a police officer.

A passenger in the vehicle, Chelsea Bates, 26, was arrested on a warrant from the Greenfield Police Department. Another document from the police department said she was charged with failure to comply with the order of a police officer. Oyer said Bates is a resident of Washington C.H., but another document listed her address as Chillicothe.

Both Price and Bates were being held in the Greenfield jail pending appearances Friday morning in Highland County Court in Greenfield.

Oyer said the Ross County Sheriff’s Office and officers from the Chillicothe Post of the Ohio State Highland Patrol assisted in the chase. He said the chase went all around Greenfield and Ross County.

No one was injured during the incident, according to Oyer.

Reach Jeff Gilliland at 937-402-2522 or on Twitter @13gillilandj.

Police chief says it ended when suspect vehicle ‘blew up’

By Jeff Gilliland

[email protected]

No posts to display