The Hillsboro and Greenfield Rotary Clubs will host the 45th annual Ernie Blankenship Radio-Telethon for the benefit of the Highland County Society for Children and Adults on Wednesday.
The event will be broadcast live from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. from the US Bank main office in Hillsboro on the local community access channel of the Time Warner Cable System, and on WSRW 101.5 and WSRW AM 1590.
In Greenfield, the event will be broadcast from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. from the McClain High School Media Room on the local community access channel of Time Warner Cable System along with periodic broadcasts on radio station WVNU FM 97.5.
From 6-9 p.m., Rotarians will take pledges by telephone or in person for those who come to the bank during the broadcast. Pledges can be made during the telethon by calling 937-393-5701 for Hillsboro and 937-981-7731 for Greenfield.
On Tuesday at the Hillsboro Rotary Club meeting, Rocky Coss, the Highland County common pleas judge who leads Rotary’s radio-telethon effort, announced the auction items that will be available during this year’s event. They are:
• Black baseball bat autographed by George Foster, member of the Big Red Machine and 1977 MVP, donated by Lee Koogler.
• Commemorative baseball from the first game played at Great American Ball Park on March 31, 2003 and small framed photo of stadium donated by Keith Chambers.
• Mini Ohio State football signed by James Laurinaitis, OSU All American linebacker and former player for NFL St. Louis Rams, donated by Dan Pearce.
• Professionally framed photo of Pete Rose getting his 4,191st hit at Wrigley Field, autographed by Pete Rose, donated by Rocky Coss.
• One year membership at the Highland County Branch of the YMCA, single or family, value of $300 to over $600, donated by the YMCA.
All items will have beginning minimum bids. Bids will be taken over the phone or in person until 8:30 p.m.
Since 1973, nearly $3.5 million has been raised for the society through the radio-telethon.
This year’s radio-telethon poster child is Gracin Murarescu, a kindergarten student from Lynchburg who attends New Vienna Elementary School.